Sunday, November 02, 2008

 

10/21



10/21/2001 - The Damned/Swingin' Utters @ The Black Cat - Washington, DC

The previous time The Damned came to town I blew them off to see The Grateful Dead. I'll bet I'm the only person in town that had a problem choosing between those shows. Anyway - I wasn't going to miss this chance. I called up a couple of my old high school buddies for this one - they guys I used to hit all the hardcore shows with back in the day. They're married with kids these days and rarely go to shows. Even they weren't gonna miss this one though.

I was totally unfamiliar with the Swingin' Utters. I'm not sure if they were an old band that The Damned just brought along for old-times sake, or if they're a new band that just sounded like the old-school stuff. I guess it doesn't matter. They sounded great and were tons of fun. Good choice for an opener. Glad we got there early.

I don't remember everything The Damned played. I just remember it was a mix of the classics and a few tracks off of Grave Disorder, which just came out. I think the Captain played a bit of "Happy Talk," too, but I could be wrong about that. My college buddy, Mike, told me that the last time he saw The Damned Captain Sensible played naked for a while. Unfortunately (fortunately?) that didn't happen. I think there were fuzzy pants though. I remember my friend David being excited to be in the pit again. Unfortunately, he forgot to have us hold his glasses and they ended up getting stomped on. Oops.

The show was really undersold. A shame. The Damned are one of the best and they still put on a great show. They have a new record coming out this month. They're coming back to the Cat in December. I'm all over that one. You should be, too. Don't miss this one.







10/21/2004 - Laurie Anderson @ Lisner Auditorium - Washington, DC

My old, longer review of this one is here. Laurie had become , NASA's "Artist in Residence" so she talked a bit about that. No real songs tonight, other than some violin solos. I was in the front row - right on the center aisle. Great seat (obviously), but it was a little awkward having her stare right at me when she was talking. Laurie never disappoints. I'll see her every time she comes to town.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?