Saturday, October 04, 2008

 

10/1


10/1/96 - Tori Amos @ Lyric Opera House - Baltimore, MD

Those first couple Tori discs were amazing. Her live shows were even better. She made playing piano look sexy as hell. Even I wanted Tori back in the day. I don't remember much specific about this show. It was the second time I had seen her. Turns out it was the last. Lost of songs I didn't know. I started losing interest shortly after this tour. Only time I was ever at the Lyric, I think. Fancy, hon.

Setlist (from the Tori Setlist Database)

Beauty Queen/Horses
Yes Anastasia
Caught A Lite Sneeze
Little Amsterdam
Cornflake Girl
Pretty Good Year
Leather
Daniel
Precious Things
Sweet Dreams
Talula
Me and a Gun

Encore 1 -

Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Twinkle

Encore 2 -

London Girls
Sister Janet (harmonium organ)
Hey Jupiter







10/1/04 - "Vote For Change" - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band/R.E.M./John Fogerty @ Wachovia Center - Philly

Bright Eyes also played, but we skipped them. This was one of the "Vote For Change" shows designed to bring out the vote to get Bush II out of office. Unfortunately, they didn't work.

Old review here.

The show was beyond fantastic though. I always liked Creedence, but I wasn't really expecting much from Fogerty solo. Big mistake. He was fantastic. He only played a few tunes, backed by the E-Street Band, but he was on fire. Could there be a more appropriate song for this event than "Fortunate Son?" I think not.

Bruce came out and sang on "Man On The Moon" with R.E.M. Stipe took a couple verses of "Because The Night" with Bruce. I won't rehash all of my old review, but the whole show was just terrific.

I remember our seats being in the far corner, one row from the top. The people behind us kept bugging us to sit down through R.E.M. We eventually just ended up trading seats with them, which worked out better for everyone. Good luck trying to get me to sit still during R.E.M. That's just not physically possible.

This was also the show where I finally "got it" with Bruce. I had seen him twice before - once on his solo tour in 92 and one on the big reunion tour in 99. Both were good, but not the life-changing event I had heard so much about. But this one - wow - it was almost like a revival. Maybe it's because Philly is so much rowdier than DC - I don't know - but he had the crowd wrapped around his finger. The place was just nuts the whole time. Bruce has now become a can't-miss event.

Springsteen setlist (from Backstreets)

Setlist: /The Star-Spangled Banner/Born in the U.S.A./Badlands/No Surrender/Lonesome Day/Lost in the Flood/Johnny 99/Youngstown/Centerfield (with Fogerty)/Deja Vu All Over Again (with Fogerty)/Fortunate Son (with Fogerty)/The Promised Land (with Fogerty)/The Rising/Because the Night (with Stipe)/Mary's Place/Born to Run (with Mills and Buck)//Proud Mary (with Fogerty)/(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding (with all)/People Have the Power (with all)

R.E.M. setlist (from the REM Timeline)

The One I Love / Begin The Begin / Leaving New York / Animal / World Leader Pretend / Final Straw / She Just Wants To Be / Bad Day / Around The Sun / Losing My Religion / Walk Unafraid / Man On The Moon (w/ Bruce Springsteen)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?