Saturday, December 01, 2007

 

Close Enough To Pretend

My ticket karma continues...

Dinger's out of town, so on a whim I decided to check out Dark Star Orchestra at 9:30 last night. I checked on tickets before work and it wasn't sold out, so I figured I'd save the service charges and pick up a ticket at the door. By the time I got home from work and checked again, it was sold-out. Dammit.

I decided to head down anyway. I rationalized it by picking up tickets for a couple of upcoming shows (Washington Social Club and Patti Smith), telling myself I'd just see what the ticket situation was. Maybe the cold weather would keep people away and I'd be able to find a ticket somehow. No such luck. There were at least a dozen people walking around begging for tickets. Dammit.

I was about to leave when I ran into a friend of mine who told me to keep looking - he found a ticket for face value after a few minutes of asking people. It seemed that everyone was looking for a free ticket, and if you had money it shouldn't be too hard to find one. hmm...what the hell...I'm already here. I'm willing to pay face value. I hold my finger in the air for about 15 minutes - nothing. Dammit.

So out of nowhere some dude walks up and stands right in front of me - way too close. I'm like ...what a dick... Then I realize it's f--king Tucker Carlson. I'm not too surprised, since we ran into him the last time we saw DSO. I wasn't really expecting that though. Slightly annoyed/amused, I just kind of chuckled to myself. That's when this guy who was with Tucker tapped me on the shoulder. I figured I just got busted rolling my eyes at him or letting my disdain show through. I turn and look at the guy and he just slips a ticket in my hand and says "Have a good night". Slightly shocked, I reply "Are you serious? I can pay you for it. I'm not looking for a freebie." He just waves me off and heads on his way. I found him inside later and offered to by him a drink, but he said no. Many thanks to you, sir. Greatly appreciated. So my ticket karma is still intact, but now I need to pay it back. I'll need to figure out a way to do that.

The show itself was nice. 8/18/89 Greek Theater - Berkeley, CA. I wasn't at that one, but I was at tons of shows in 89, so it hit home with me pretty nicely. Any show with "Iko Iko" is ok by me.

I'm debating going back for more tonight. Not sold out yet. We'll see. I'll buy my ticket earlier this time. I definitely need to make it to Remington's tonight to see Mr. Bartender's final stand. He's leaving us for chillier climates soon. :-(

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?