Thursday, January 07, 2010

 

Early January Stuff


1/ 4/87 The Ramones @ The Bayou - Washington, DC

Not the first time I saw The Ramones. Certainly not the last. I saw The Ramones 4 times at The Bayou. To tell you the truth, the only distinguishing factor I remember from any of them was when The Smithereens opened for them. I think that was '86 though. Anyway...I remember hating The Bayou. They treated all the hippies like low-lifes and the punks like...well...punks. Anything close to pogo-ing would get you tossed in a flash. Plus it was in Georgetown, so there were always annoying people around, both inside and outside the club.





1/ 8/87 The Meatmen @ 9:30 Club - Washington, DC

Oh, Tesco, you little scamp. The Meatmen were rude, loud and all kinds of awesome. Just when you thought they couldn't get any more offensive, they went a little further. They offended just about everyone eventually. How can you not love a band obsessed with poop and gays and with songs like "Mr. Tapeworm", "Crippled Children Suck" and "Orgy Of One"? They were a semi-local band - having moved here from Michigan a few years after getting started. That's fine. I have no problem claiming them as our own. Their shows are always a blast. They're reformed again and are still playing around. Highly recommended, but you've been warned. Stud Powercock... is a must-have for anyone who claims to like punk rock.

Yet another reason I heart the interwebs:










1/ 3/2003 Patti Smith @ 9:30 Club - Washington, DC

Patti is one of those people I always felt like I should like, but didn't really get into for a long time. I finally decided it was time to check her out. I bought Horses, figuring she'd have to play at least a few tracks off of that one. Nothing prepared me for the show though. Holy mother of God - What took me so long? She was absolutely mesmerizing. One moment she'd seem to bare her soul to us, appearing vulnerable and weak....then 10 minutes later she's got everyone jumping up and down, hands in the air, having me convinced she could take on the world (and most likely win). Such power and emotion - not to mention mixed-in with a little fun. Part revival - part poetry reading - part rock and roll show. Amazing. I'll be back every time.

Patti has a new book out this month, documenting her life with Robert Mappelthorpe in the late-60s/early-70s. Looks pretty interesting. While you're buying that - buy Horses, too. Everyone should own that. Everyone.



1/ 7/09 Edie Sedgwick @ Black Cat Backstage - Washington, DC

I don't really know what to say about Edie Sedgwick other than he's my hero. His band seems to be a revolving line-up of various local indie-rock musicians, but the records sounds kind of electro-punk-dancy-weird. I've seen live shows where he's jumping around like a crazy person and another show where it's just him and some beats sitting in front of a dvd-fireplace. You never know what you're going to get. This show was my first. Edie and a band of locals cranking out some quirky Q And Not U - style dance tunes. It's always a not-to-be-missed event. I really don't understand why he's not a superstar.

You should follow him on Twitter, too. It's a real treat.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?