Wednesday, December 30, 2009

 

12/30

12/30/88 Hot Tuna @ The Fillmore - San Francisco, CA

I remember what we did on our night off now...We went to see Hot Tuna at The Fillmore. I think it was an acoustic show. Another nice surprise where everything just fell into place. The Fillmore was awesome. I know it's not at the original location and it may have moved since I was last there. I'm not sure. Free apples!




12/30/89 Grateful Dead @ Oakland Coliseum - Oakland, CA

We actually planned ahead this time and bought tickets in advance for the night before New Year's. I flew out west with a couple folks from work on 12/28. We stayed at the wonderful Jack London Inn. Unexpectedly, my roommate and next door neighbor decided to drive cross-country and meet us there. We weren't aware of this plan until they showed-up on our doorstep. I recall being woke up by some hippie playing a really bad version of "Sugaree" just outside our window by the pool. We managed to get locked out of our room at one point, only to discover our next-door-neighbors could easily crawl across the balcony and into our room. Note to self - always lock the balcony door.

A fine, fun show. The highlight may have been the opener of "Bertha->Good Lovin'" - a combo they used to play all the time in the late 70s but had dropped in the 80s. First time in about 8 years for that combo. Sweet! "Jack Straw" to open the second set was an odd surprise. Sort of the calm-before-the-storm of the frantic "China-Rider" that followed. They closed with Dylan's "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue," which was one of those just-exactly-perfect moments. Overall this was probably better than the New Year's show, but that's pretty standard, really.

Another of my favorite shows. The band was sounding great...I was in California again...I was surrounded by my best friend, my neighbor and my favorite co-worker-buds. And we still had NYE to look forward to. Great night.



12/30/06 The Slickee Boys/The Howling Mad/Chelsea Graveyard and the Screams at Midnight @ The Ottobar - Baltimore, MD

Another Slickees reunion - this time at The Ottobar. hmmm...maybe this was the one where my friend came up from NC? Could be. Incidentally, my NC friend is the same one that drove cross-country for the above Dead show. He's a trooper, that one.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?