Sunday, December 07, 2008

 

11/10


11/10/2000 - Prince @ Patriot Center - Fairfax, VA

I remember struggling over this one. I had heard for ages that Prince was just ridiculously good in concert, but I really didn't want to pay that much $$$ to see him. After service charges at was close to $100/ticket. Ouch. That's a lot of money for someone I'm merely curious about. But then tickets went on sale and I had the opportunity to get "Purple Circle" seats - 13th row center - so I jumped on them. Dinger wasn't thrilled about the cost, but he begrudgingly went with me.

Of course, I feel silly about all that now, because the show was just amazing. I had one of those moments when I just wanted to slap myself in the head and say "What was I thinking?" for all those years when I blew him off. Hit after hit after hit. I knew Prince played guitar, but I didn't know he was that f--king good at it. Wow. He's just amazing to watch, seeing him in control of the band as well as the audience. James Brown comparisons are very easy to make here. My only complaint would be that a bunch of the songs were incomplete. It seemed like there were several medley's, rather than full songs. It worked well, but there were a few times he left us wanting more. Maybe that was the whole point.

Not sure if this is a Top 10 show, but I'd readily put this in the top 20 or so. Oh - And Dinger finally came around and agreed that it was worth every penny.


11/10/06 - Wreckless Eric @ The Velvet Lounge - Washington, DC

I consider Wreckless Eric to be a semi-legend. I was kinda crushed when there were only a couple dozen people at his Velvet Lounge show. I think he was, too. He played his hits and a bunch of stuff I didn't know, but the most interesting parts were when he told stories between the songs. Some were pretty cool - stories of "back-in-the-day" when he was part of the whole Stiff crowd. But there were also stories where you could tell he was a little angry or bitter about how things played out for him.

Very fun, intimate show. I'd see him again in a heartbeat. Shame on you all for not going. Everyone should have a copy of Greatest Stiffs. Believe it or not - he also has a new record out. Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby. Go buy it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?