Saturday, November 29, 2008

 

11/5


11/5/79 - The Eagles @ The Capital Centre - Landover, MD

One of my very first concerts. For my 14th birthday I really really really wanted to go see Billy Joel. He was touring for 52nd Street - one of my favorite records at the time. My sister agreed to take me to that show. We drove up to Hecht's in beautiful Marlow Heights to get tickets. The only seats they had left were waaaaayyy up at the top near the back. Ugh. Even back then I didn't want crappy seats. My sister asked the woman behind the counter if there were any other shows coming up and she suggested The Eagles. My sister and I both loved The Eagles, so we decided to check what was left for that show. There was a pair of seats in 110 - directly on the side about 12 rows from the stage. Perfect.

The Eagles were touring for The Long Run, which was pretty damn big at the time. They played hit after hit - and they had plenty of them. "Hotel California," "Life In The Fast Lane," "Heartache Tonight," "Take It Easy" and on and on. Joe Walsh even played "Life's Been Good." Didn't expect that one. I was quite possibly the happiest soon-to-be-14-year-old on the planet. Thanks, Sis.

I have to admit I still have a soft spot for The Eagles' music, but I can't bring myself to go see them again or even buy any of their music. I blame them for single-handedly pushing ticket prices over the $100 mark. But I'll admit I almost caved-in this last time they came around. And I know it's only a matter of time before I pick up Hotel California and The Long Run. I'm weak like that.




11/5/2006 - The Slits/Apes @ The Black Cat - Washington, DC

I remember hearing that The Slits were one of the most important bands in the history of the world, so I figured I should see them on their big reunion tour. They always seemed to me to be one of those bands people liked talking about, yet nobody ever listened to. Based on the small crowd that turned up, I'd say I was right. In short - they were booooring. I'm not sure what I expected, but I sure didn't get it.

The Apes (is there a "The" in there?") however were out of control. Holy crap what a fantastic opening set they put on. My original review described them as "Space-Age Psychedelia over-powered by Black Sabbath". All kinds of awesome all rolled into one. Great band. Don't miss them, if you get a chance to check them out.

Comments:
I'm very sorry you didn't like the Slits. I saw them a little after you did, at the Bottletree Cafe in Birmingham, and freaking full-on loved it, and even some of the Bama rednecks who had never heard of then did, as well, to the point of buying their own Slits CDs. I also loved the Apes that night, as did the Birmingham crowd.

I offer here for you Afrissippi, excellent north Mississippi hill country blues and African rhythms, sung in French by a now-Mississippian from Senegal.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=65053284
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?