Wednesday, November 26, 2008

 

11/4


11/4/2004 - R.E.M. @ Madison Square Garden - New York, NY

This was the first show after Bush won for the second time. The band didn't hesitate to let their feelings be known, opening the show with "It's The End Of The World As We Know It." That's a first. What a completely different vibe from the DC show just a few nights before. All of the hope and optimism had vanished. Still a fun show though. That may have had something to do with meeting my friend Kevin before the show. He's trouble - but in a good way.

A few too many slow ones in this set. New York deserves an all-out rocking show. Highlights were "Begin The Begin" and "Life And How To Live It." Those never get old. Note that they were playing "I'm Gonna DJ" every night. That song wouldn't show up on a record until 2008's Accelerate.

It's too bad we didn't get to stay longer, but we had to get back home the next day. I really need to stop with these hit-and-run trips to NYC.

More details over at my original post about this one. I forgot that Stipe dropped his pants. I don't think I've seen the Ernie puppet since this show.

It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) / Begin The Begin / So Fast, So Numb / Animal / Boy In The Well / Welcome To The Occupation / The Outsiders / Get Up / High Speed Train / Cuyahoga / Sweetness Follows / The One I Love / I Wanted To Be Wrong / Imitation Of Life / Final Straw / Losing My Religion / Walk Unafraid / Life And How To Live It
encore: What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Drive / Leaving New York / Electrolite / Permanent Vacation / I'm Gonna DJ / Man On The Moon




11/4/2005 - Monopoli/Routineers/Washington Social Club (Acoustic) @ The Black Cat - Washington, DC

We went to this one to catch WSC play an acoustic set. It was interesting, if a bit awkward. I don't think it really gelled. More annoying - I seem to remember them playing for about 30 minutes or so. Really short. hrmph.

Stuck around for Routineers, who I liked more than I did at the Fort Reno show earlier in the summer. They've got that typical Dischord hard-rocking sound, but Amanda's voice sets them apart form the standard Dischord fare a little. Comparisons to Fire Party are inevitable, if not completely fair. Especially when Amanda isn't singing. duh. Good band. I don't know if they still exist. I haven't heard anything from them in a long time. I highly recommend their cd.

Monopoli....hmmm...I remember them being fairly generic sounding, but that's about it. Not bad, but not terribly intriguing. I think we left early. Dinger doesn't have the patience for checking out many bands he's not familiar with and I got him to stay through Routineers, so I agreed to head out.




11/4/2006 - These Arms Are Snakes/French Toast @ The Black Cat - Washington, DC

I didn't really remember much about this show until I looked-up my original review. Turns out I thought These Arms Are Snakes were pretty much fantastic live. Doesn't sound like I really dug their music much (which explains why I forgot about them), but their live show was killer. It's for reasons like that that I started a blog - to help me remember crap like that. I'm old, you know. I forget things.

French Toast never disappoints. Have they officially broken up? They're never around anymore.




11/4/2008 - Bad Brains @ 9:30 - Washington, DC

Hey HR - I hope we didn't interrupt any other important plans you had tonight. God forbid you do more than stand there with a really apathetic look on your face, talking your way through the songs, not even pretending to be interested in the show. The crowd didn't have anything else to do anyway - being election night and all. We were more than happy to watch you barely go through the motions. Thanks a ton!

At least the band sounded great. hrmph.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?