Monday, November 17, 2008

 

10/26



10/26/98 - Planet Drum @ Lisner Auditorium - Washington, DC

The first Planet Drum tour was a life-changing experience. For a fleeting moment I considered quitting my job, getting in the car and running away to follow them around. I didn't, of course, but it was very, very tempting. So I was really excited for this show, when it came around some 7 years later. Maybe my expectations were too high, but this version fell flat. The first Planet Drum was all about the rhythm, while this version seemed to be more about the groove. I don't know if it's because there were more electronics involved or what, but I wasn't feeling that "global drum circle" vibe I had from the first tour. It seemed less communal and more structured and polished. The cd they were supporting was Supralingua. I kind of tossed it aside at the time, but it sounds ok now. Nowhere close to Planet Drum or At The Edge though.

Mickey's Global Drum Project show last year (see my 10/11 post) blew this PD show away by a mile. I'll go see Mickey any chance I get though.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?