Friday, October 31, 2008

 

10/18


10/18/95 - R.E.M. @ Nissan Pavilion - East Bumf--k, VA

14th row center. Not bad for getting the ticket at the box office the night of the show.

Nobody plays both DC AND Nissan. Well, Jimmy Buffet plays both Merriweather and Nissan, but he's really the only one. But for some reason R.E.M. decided to follow 2 nights in DC with a show in Virginia - about 30 miles away. I was thrilled, but the nearly-empty lawn showed that this was probably not a very good idea.

They gave us a few treats, but it was pretty much the same stuff they've been playing all year. I seem to recall Stipe apologizing for forgetting to play "Country Feedback" the night before. We got "Welcome To The Occupation," which I hadn't seen in a while. Other than that the only real interesting thing about this one was the fact that we got "Zither," an instrumental from the yet-to-be-released Hi-Fi record. A nice little ditty, but not terribly exciting - especially since none of us knew it. I remember being kind of excited that we got not one, but TWO songs from Lifes Rich Pageant. I was pretty desperate for old songs by this point. I had seen them 7 times on this tour. As much as I loved it - that was enough. I was Monstered-out. If nothing else, I had become a master at running to the bathroom and back during the 5:00 of "Everybody Hurts." Mad skillz I've got.

Grant Lee Buffalo opened again. All I remember about them is that they covered the Stones' "Moonlight Mile."

I coincidentally ended up sitting right next to a girl I knew from the early days of rec.music.rem. She was going to UofMD and recounted the horrible ride she had to the show with some fratboy she found on a ride-board. UofMD was pretty much right on my way home, so I offered her a ride back. We spent the hour geeking-out on the shows we had seen and the bootlegs we were listening to. Always reassuring to know that I'm not alone in my obsessions.




10/18/2000 - John Waters @ Lisner Auditorium - Washington, DC

Front row. I just remember thinking "Please don't come over and talk to me." He was incredibly funny though. I vaguely remember a story about the gay strip clubs in Baltimore. Not that I could relate to that - since I've never been to them. Nope. Not me. ahem. Quote of the evening, "Oh, Christ, I'm bloated." I'm not sure why I remember that.





10/18/2005 - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah @ The Black Cat - Washington, DC

Whatever. Tick. Tick. Tick. Time's up.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?