Thursday, April 17, 2008

 

Dead Meadow @ The Black Cat


Dead Meadow was just rock-o-rific last night. Their live sound is much louder, heavier and far more psychedelic than I expected, based on a few listens to Old Growth. Wow. It's so nice to hear bands that aren't afraid of exploratory/meandering guitar work. hmmm...I'm not sure that came out right, but it's meant to be a compliment. I loved the soaring, wa-wa infused swirly psychedelic-ness of it all. All while maintaining a fairly heavy foundation with the rhythm section. I guess that's why they call it "stoner-rock". I hate that term, although it's easy to see where it comes from.

Ancient Sky opened. They were pretty good too, though they were a little more heavy than psychedelic. I was expecting the opposite, based on their Myspace songs. Those songs are some trippy little tunes. They didn't quite prepare me for what I heard at the show. I like both sides of their sound though. Makes them a little more intriguing. Looking at their blog, it seems this was their 3rd show ever. Pretty impressive. I never would have guessed. Keep an eye on these guys.

It was a late night - only 2 bands and they still didn't finish until nearly 12:30 - but it was well worth it. I'm very surprised this show didn't sellout. It was on the Backstage at The Black Cat, which only holds about 200 people. It seemed pretty full, but there was still a little room in the back. I understand sold-out shows here are PACKED, so it couldn't have sold out. No doubt it will next time. I'll definitely be there.

Oh yeah - No sign of the Pope.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?