Sunday, September 09, 2007

 

Weekend Stuff

Well...I survived the first week of my new 7:00am start time at work. We'll see how Monday goes, considering I'm hitting 3 different shows this weekend.

Friday was the return of 9353. I've waited years for this. Oh, so good. Rustbuckit opened and was a rollicking good time, as always. To be honest, I skipped most of King Giant's set. I was getting bored just standing around by myself, so I headed over to Nellie's, where I could stand on the outdoor deck, have a drink and look at cute boys. I did make it back in time to catch the last 2 King Giant songs. Very powerful stuff, but not really my thing. My condolences to the band, their families and friends.


9353 didn't disappoint. They've added a second guitar player and sounded great. Lots of familiar stuff and some stuff I didn't know. Dressed in suits and ties for the occasion, they opened with "Famous Last Words", which was a bit of a mixed blessing. Fun to open with what might be considered their signature song, but sound problems marred it a little. Still - A great opener and they eventually got the sound worked out. I was sort of surprised to get "Born To Be Wild", but thrilled to hear it. The crowd seemed to love it all. It was a bit weird to see everyone so happy (including the band). I almost feel like that 9353 and their fans should be perpetually gloomy, pretty f-cked-up, with a bit of uneasiness and the feeling that something could go horribly wrong at any minute. No complaints here though. I hope they stick around for a while.



Saturday brought a surprise show by Washington Social Club at the Rock and Roll Hotel. The late announcement resulted in a sparse, but appreciative crowd. Lots of room to dance and lots of interaction between the band and crowd. Just like the good old days.


Tonight brings the Meat Puppets to town. Complete with both Kirkwood brothers. It's been a while since they've toured together. Been looking forward to this one for a while. The Meat Puppets were one of the first bands I saw at the old 9:30 Club, back in '85. Damn I'm getting old.



(Dinger took the awesome picture of Olivia.)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?