Monday, January 30, 2006

 

Local Music Night @ 9:30

Friday night was all-local-band night at 9:30. Bicycle Thieves were the headliners, along with Cedars and Nethers opening. I was pleasantly surprised at how crowded the club was. By the end of the night the floor was pretty darn crowded and there were maybe 100 people in the balcony. Not bad for an all-local bill.

As for the bands...Nethers took me a bit by surprise. They've got a definite Velvet Underground kind of thing going. A thumpy-droney-darkly psychedelic-jammy thing. Completely different sound from The Carlsonics. Fantastic. The singer's sweet voice on top of the fairly simple music, which would eventually devolve into this droning noise-fest. Love. It. Can't wait to see them again. (FYI - You can stream their whole album from a link on their website.)

Cedars was easily the best band of the night. They just get better and better every time I see them. They're branching out a lot from the sound from their EP. They're rocking a little harder and sounding a little tighter. Good to see them on a bigger stage with a light show and everything.

Bicycle Thieves...well....they just don't do it for me. I seem to be in the minority here though. Everyone else seems to dig 'em. I just hear by-the-numbers indie pop. They're very good at it, but it's just not my thing. I found myself bored by the time they were done. Frankly, I thought their cover of "Radio Radio" was a total drag. They sounded as bored as I felt. Why bother? I picked up their EP anyway, and it doesn't really change my mind. "Loser of the Year" is a good song, but the rest of the EP doesn't live up to that one, in my opinion. Still, if they can pack the 9:30 Club for an all-local gig, I'm all for 'em. Keep it up.

At first I was bummed that I forgot my camera, but I saw that he was there snapping away, so I figured any pics I would take would be sub-par anyway. I was correct.

Kudos to 9:30 for supporting local bands again.

Bicycle Thieves - Encore
Cedars - Mercury
Nethers - Breastfeathers

Comments:
i thought that was you i saw! but did you grow facial hair? because for some reason i felt weird coming up to you/not you to say hello because I convinced myself it was some guy who looked like you, but with facial hair. oops.
 
Yeah - That was probably me. I get VERY lazy about shaving sometimes. I may keep it for a while this time though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?