Monday, October 24, 2005

 

Sometimes I Feel Special

From Last.fm:

Track Stats

1 people have listened to Everybody's Dancin' by The Beatnik Flies.
Of all 1 people that have listened to songs by The Beatnik Flies, this represents 100%.


Apparently, I need to spread a little Beatnik love.

The Beatnik Flies

I can't find much info about the band online, but they were part of the early/mid-80's DC scene. Not quite new wave. Not quite punk. Not quite 60's garage. Sometimes a little surfy. They were one of those "they almost made it" bands. Their 2 albums were picked up by New Rose, but I don't think much happened.

You want some DC cred? Well, their first record - From Parts Unknown was originally released on Dacoit - Kim Kane's label. Produced by Mark Noone. As for their second LP, Behind These Walls (everyone say it with me now...) - Recorded at Inner Ear Studios and Engineered by Don Zientara. And come-on - It doesn't get any more DC than name-checking The Slickee Boys in one of your songs.

Believe it or not, you can still pick up their compilation PsychoMetalPop - The Lost Cause of the Beatnik Flies. You might be able to pick one up at Vinyl & Lead, but I'd send an email to Kim and ask if they have any. The CD says it's released on Dacoit, so Kim should know about it. If you're local, you can probably pick it up at Joe's. Every time I go there I see a new copy with a different cover. I wouldn't be surprised if these are pretty much made-to-order. You should go to Joe's anyway. Vinyl still rules there.

They were recently in that "Little Steven's Battle of the Bands" thing and did quite well, I believe. Their website says they're releasing a new record in 2005. To be honest, I'll believe that when I see it.

Listen. Rock.

Everybody's Dancin'
Music Revolution
TV Star

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?