Saturday, October 08, 2005


Part 2

Friday morning started early. Despite the fact the we were out way later than we wanted to be, Bob had us up by 8:00am. He's definitely a pro at this going-out-late-but-getting-to-work-on-time thing. That was fine by us though. We were on the road home before 9:00am. A fairly uneventful drive home until the sky opened up and we got hit with a monsoon-like downpour. Luckily, we were almost home by that point. Thank God, because driving 25mph on I-95 in near white-out conditions gets old really fast. We were home a little after 11:30 - just in time to catch the Showcase Showdown.

Friday night started with a trip to Titan for happy hour. We've never done that before. Being out in the 'burbs, it's hard to get downtown early enough to make happy hour worthwhile. We may have to make more of an effort though. It was a blast. Pretty crowded, despite the rain. We managed to finally meet these guys, hung out with a freshly shaven chrisafer for the first time in a couple weeks and ran into copperred, who we haven't seen in a while. Drinks were dirt cheap. Always a plus. Fun was had by all. Downstairs for dinner at the no-longer-Mary's-but-we-still-use-their-logo-on-everything Dakota Cowgirl. Then it was off to 9:30 for round two of Mr. Mould.

As predicted, I wasn't 5 feet in the door when I started running into people I knew. I love it when that happens. One thing's for sure - those gay bloggers love them some Bob. Let's see, throughout the night we were hanging with him, him, them, him, one of them, him, him and a few of my other regular concert buds. I usually end up going to shows by myself or with the BF. Being surrounded by this many cool folks was definitely a treat.

Working our way through the crowd, we literally bumped into Bob, himself, heading in the opposite direction. He handed us a couple of those plastic bracelet things and told us to come downstairs after the show for a little after-party. Most excellent.

The show was being recorded for a DVD to be released in the coming months. I'm not sure if it was the fact that it was being recorded, the fact that Bob was in front of his hometown crowd, the fact that it was Friday night, or whatever, but this show was in-f-cking-credible. As good as I thought Philly was, the 9:30 gig blew the doors off of that show. Damn. They were just on fire. Bob was jumping around like a madman, giving more than his all on every song - both old and new. I'm pretty sure it was the same setlist (only with "Man On The Moon" this time) but a completely different show. Talk about kicking it up a notch. Holy cow. The surprise encore at the end was a cover of "Stepping Stone", featuring (I'm 99% sure) 9:30's own Seth Hurwitz on drums. It was kind of funny watching Brendan watch from the balcony above the stage. "Stepping Stone" is one of those songs that has a bit of a history in the DC scene. Quite an appropriate choice, now that Bob is a local.

The after-party was fun. I think all of the above were there, plus some of the regular Blowoff and music-types. It was nice to be able to actually hang out and talk to all of these folks. It's hard to do that while the band's playing (not that I like to talk much during a show anyway). It made for yet another very late night though. I think we caught the last Metro home. Whew.

Thanks to Bob for 2 killer shows. Hope it's not another 7 years before you do it again.

Next up: hmmm...I don't think I have the energy for McCartney tonight. That means Foo Fighters on Monday. Debating getting there early enough for Weezer. Not really into 'em, but the kids love 'em. We'll see.

And there's still 3 days of the long-weekend left!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?