Friday, August 19, 2005

 

DC Music Stuff



Fort Reno closed up shop for the summer with a terrific show by Metropolitan. Possibly the best set I've seen them play. I'm digging their new disc more and more every time I play it. Punchy, melodic, rockin' music. Judging by the number of folks up and dancing with reckless abandon, I'd say it's quite popular with the kids too.


There are a couple of DC-related video things coming up over labor day weekend.

First up, on Sept. 5 at The Black Cat, Positive Force DC is presenting something they're billing as "Vintage DC Punk Video Night". It's a benefit for Jobs With Justice. I'm not sure what this includes, but it sounds promising. Positive Force has been putting on shows since I was a kid. There could be some killer footage here. I need to find out more about this. For $5, I'm sure it's gonna be worth it, no matter what they're showing.

One Sept. 6, AFI is giving you another chance to catch "930 F Street," the documentary that's basically 87 minutes of reminiscing about the old 9:30 Club. If nothing else, you should go to check out the AFI Silver Theater in Silver Spring. It's an awesome theater. And don't complain about it being in the 'burbs. It's walking distance from the Silver Spring Metro.


And while we're reminiscing of the DC punk of yore, Black Market Baby is slated to have a new compilation out on Dr. Strange Records sometime this fall. It's gonna be called Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda. No track listing, but it's supposed to be a mix of some of their more popular songs, along with some rare and unreleased material. BMB CDs aren't that easy to come by and if you try to pick up their Senseless Offerings LP on eBay, you'd better be ready to plunk down a cool $100 or so. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one. Check out some sound clips here.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?