Sunday, July 24, 2005

 

Songs I Like

Random songs that I haven't heard in years.

Shonen Knife - Johnny, Johnny, Johnny

He's the cleanest boy in town
He's real good at ping pong
He's good at archery
He's good at bowling, man

Hee hee ha ha ho ho ho
He's the coolest boy! HA!

Female Japanese Pop. If this song doesn't make you smile, you need to lighten up a little.

From Rock Animals


Public Image Ltd. - Bad Life

I love the drums on this track. Dancey, driving and full of attitude. The first time I saw PiL some unknown rap act from NYC opened. People just sat there staring at them, booing occasionally. They were a mess. Turns out The Beastie Boys ended up doing ok for themselves. The marquee outside the theater read something like "Tonight: Public Image Ltd. Thurs: Menudo." I wish I had a camera for that one. I've heard rumors of a PiL reunion. I'm not holding my breath, but I'd be all over it.

From This Is What You Want....This Is What You Get


The Seen - Younger Than Yesterday

These guys were a bunch of local kids who grew up in the town I went to college in. They helped me realize you don't have to be famous to be good. 60's-ish, pop, mod, rock, whatever. I think they put out a record in the mid-80's. This comes from a CD I picked up at a reunion show I caught when I went back to State College for a weekend.

From Under The Sun - In The Rain. Good luck finding this one.


The Bongos - Barbarella

I tried to see The Bongos once at GWU. The show was scheduled to start at 9:00. We waited until about 10:45 and they still hadn't even opened the doors yet. We left. They broke up shortly after that. Too bad. They should have been huge.

From Numbers With Wings. Sadly out-of-print.


Tom Tom Club - Pleasure Of Love

It's absolutely criminal that this hasn't been released on CD. I've heard that the record company "lost" the masters. Whatever. I forget where I got this track, but it was obviously taken from an LP. This album (actually, it was a cassette I stole from my girlfriend) got me through my freshman year of college.


Joe "King" Carrasco - Let's Go

I've heard that Joe kind of regrets "Party Weekend", because it lumped him in with the new-wave crowd and he was written off as a one-hit wonder. He's got a very valid point. It's too bad he never got his due. His records are a blast and he puts on a great show. One of my favorite memories of the old 9:30 Club was Joe standing on the bar playing guitar, singing and getting everyone to dance.

From Joe's Anthology



mp3s are provided only to expose people to some music they may not be familiar with. They're only up for a week or two. If you have some sort of claim to the music, let me know and I'll gladly take it down. If you like what you hear, go buy something by the artist, so they can afford to make more music.

Comments:
Thanks for the links. You inspired me to dig out an old Bongos album I hadn't listened to in a long time.

Regards,
Carl
http://cahlsjukejoint.blogspot.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?