Saturday, May 28, 2005

 

Not Just Another Pretty Face




This evening I came across an old mix tape I made back in college. I think this was one of my last college mix tapes, so that would place this sometime during my senior year 1986-1987. hmm...I know all of these songs came from vinyl though, and I definitely had a CD player by 1986. Maybe it's from early '86? Anyway...The inside of the J-Card indicates that the initial title for the tape was Music For Poseurs, a reference to the long-lost new wave club in Georgetown.

Side A
-------
Cruisers Creek - The Fall
Disorder - Joy Division
Spooky Room - 9353
Final Solution - Peter Murphy
Face Up - New Order
Peter Gun - The Art Of Noise
King Of Rock - Run DMC
I'm A Believer - The Monkees
Never Understand - Jesus And Mary Chain
She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult

Side B
-------
Primary - The Cure
Spellbound - Siouxsie and the Banshees
Can Your Pussy Do The Dog? - The Cramps
Respect - Aretha Franklin
Prove My Love - Violent Femmes
She's On It - Beastie Boys
Master and Servant - Depeche Mode
Rattlesnakes - Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
What Difference Does It Make? - The Smiths
Happy Together - The Jam
Baggy Trousers - Madness
Red Red Wine - UB40
Ain't Too Proud To Beg - The Temptations
Rock and Roll Suicide - David Bowie


"Disorder" is listed on the tape as "2.1". Those wacky Joy Division folks didn't want to fill the liner notes or labels with silly things like song titles, so I had no idea what to call it. I chose "2.1" as a way of saying "Side 2 Track 1" of Unknown Pleasures. Of course the CD eventually came out and it included the titles. At that time I also discovered I had been playing side 2 first for about 10 years. Subtract 5 hipster points.

Surprisingly, there's no R.E.M. on it. It's hard to remember a time in college when I went 90 minutes without putting on some R.E.M.

I'm sure I have more of these in a box somewhere. I should try to dig those up.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?