Saturday, February 26, 2005

 

Catching up

It's been a long, but fantastic week for me, music-wise. I'm exhausted, but here are a few quick notes on the rest of the shows I saw.



Le Tigre 2-22-05 9:30 Club

What could be better on a Tuesday night than some ass-shakin, booty-quakin' lesbian-feminist-politico-dance-punk? These ladies were terrific. It's impossible to stand still while they're on stage. It's been years since I've seen a DC crowd dance so much. What a blast this show was. Wow. I can't wait for them to come back. We got there too late to catch Lesbians On Ecstacy. Word is they were really good. Maybe next time.





Wilco 2-23-05 9:30 Club

I'm not all that familiar with Wilco. I've had Summerteeth for a few years, but I don't really listen to it that much, and I couldn't name a single track from it. It's not that I don't like it - I do - I just don't pull it out very often. Maybe because of it's location on my bookshelf (the W's are at the very bottom). I may need to change that though, because Wilco put on a really nice show on Wednesday. Any band that can hold my attention for 2 hours with material I'm completely unfamiliar with has to be doing something right. I was expecting a night full of mid-tempo country-tinged rock. I got that and a bit more. At times dark and moody. Sometimes almost flat-out country ballads. Occasional jamming, experimental rock and just a bit of interesting "noise". The films were interesting without taking the focus off the music. Very nice show. Listen for yourself. There's a torrent of it here. Or you can stream it from NPR here.

The 9:30 Club was absolutely packed for this show. They had half of the left balcony roped off for VIPs. All 5 of them. Between that and the taping section on the main floor, the rest of us were packed-in like sardines. That was a bit annoying. The predominantly male 6-foot and taller crowd made me appreciate the predominantly female 5'6" and shorter crowd. It was a bit tough to see from the back, but I have nobody but myself to blame for that one.

Very nice show. I'm glad I got to see them in the club as opposed to a larger theater.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?