Sunday, December 05, 2004

 

Saturday Fun

Saturday found us running around a bit. First to Ikea to pick up all that furniture, then to a Christmas party help by some of the BF's old college friends. To be perfectly honest, the party was a lot more fun than I expected. His old college friends are all very nice. As time goes on I'm getting much more comfortable just hanging out with them. I think the feeling is pretty mutual, which is very cool.

We did have to leave a little early though, so we could get home, change and head out to the Birchmere to catch Bob Mould. I had never been there before, but I have heard very mixed things about the Birchmere. People seem to either really love it or really hate it. I don't think I've made up my mind yet. General admission, but totally seated. No milling about at all. Talking too loud would probably get you thrown out. Great sightlines all around though. We sat at the bar, with a direct side-view of the stage. Not a bad view at all and we never had to wait for a waitress. It was nice to come out of a show not completely stinking of cigarette smoke.

I had heard there were two stages - the main room and the bandstand. We weren't sure if we were in the right area when we walked in, but then we noticed Bob about 10 feet away, so we figured we were in the right place. Bob waved, so we walked over for a quick hello before grabbing our seats at the bar. mmm....Shiner Bock.

The show itself was really good. The first half was acoustic, the second half electric. It was my first time seeing Bob play. I still kick myself all the time for not seeing Husker Du when I had the chance. A couple of my friends made the trip from PSU to DC for see them at the old 9:30 in the mid-80's, but I didn't go. One of my larger concert mistakes.

But Bob put on a great show. The solo setup really emphasized what a good songwriter he is. As much as I loved Husker Du, the melody and lyrics tended to get lost in that massive wall of sound. They were there if you went digging for them, but it was nice to hear Bob's songs stripped down like that. The highlight of the night for me was probably "I Apologize", with "Wishing Well" and "See A Little Light" not far behind. Kudos to the guy in the back dancing like crazy all night long. He looked like he was having the time of his life.

Said goodnight after the show and Bob indicated that he wanted to play a little longer, but it seemed like everyone wanted to go home. So all you indie kids that are too cool to clap, or hate encores because "they're gonna come back no matter what" take note. Show a little love and you may get some more music.

We headed to The Eagle for a nightcap, since it was after midnight and now technically my birthday. However, after driving around the block 3-4 times looking for a place to park, we decided to head home. Still - a great night. Thanks to the BF for the tickets for my birthday.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?