Thursday, November 11, 2004

 

Interpol @ 9:30

Saw Interpol at 9:30 the other night. Secret Machines opened. Secret Machines were interesting, but didn't quite live up to the hype I had been hearing. I need to look into them a little more. They did do a great cover of Dylan's "Girl Of The North Country".

The club was jam-packed. Possibly the most crowded I've ever seen it. I knew something was up when I got there over an hour early and couldn't park anywhere near the club. I walked in just as Secret Machines was starting and the place was already packed to the gills. Ugh. The show was "Presented by WHFS - The True Alternative". Every time I see those f*cking banners I want to throw them on the ground, stomp on them and p*ss all over them. I can't stand HFS. But of course, the crowd was full of HFS-types - very drunk, obnoxious, rude people that have no idea how to behave at shows. There was even a fight. Nice.

Interpol was a mixed bag. They sounded ok, but they weren't terribly engaging. They hit all the right notes and played some good songs, but they didn't do anything to get the crowd even slightly excited. The crowd just stood there while the band played, occasionally nodding their head and politely applauding when the songs finished. Maybe the crowd was lame because the band didn't have any spark. Maybe the band wasn't inspired by the typically stoic DC crowd. I don't know, but it made for a pretty low-key concert experience. The last 5-6 songs kicked-ass though. Starting with "NYC" (I think) through the end of the show they were on fire. I think I even saw a few people dancing. I never got a good look at the singer, due to the lighting and the smoke. His silhouette looked like a cross between Malcolm McDowell and Kid Rock.

The band was actually ok. It was a decent show, worth the price of admission. It just wasn't terribly exciting. It was the exact opposite of the Muse show the night before. Maybe everyone was just spent from that one.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?