Friday, October 15, 2004

 

More Shows...

It's been a great week for shows. Started off with the "Vote For Change" finale on Monday. PJ Harvey Wednesday and Mission Of Burma last night.

PJ Harvey put on a good show. It was the first time I'd seen her. I was duly impressed, but the guys I was there with said it seemed like she was a little off. It looked like she was having problems with her ear monitor or something (whatever is controlled by that thing on her back). Maybe that was the cause. I couldn't tell though. She put on a fine show as far as I'm concerned. It was an early show at the club. Doors at 6:00. Show at 7:00. She actually came on at 7:20. I have mixed feelings about these early shows. It sucks having to jet home from work, change clothes, skip dinner and run downtown. On the other hand, it's very nice to be home before 10:00 on a weeknight. Can't have it both ways, I guess.

Last night was Mission Of Burma w/The Channels opening. I was gonna go late and skip The Channels, but the I read on AllMusic that J. Robbins was in the band. I decided to get off my lazy ass and check them out. They had their ups and downs, but overall I liked them. I'm trying to break the habit of buying CDs of every band I see, so I didn't pick up their EP. But I know myself to well...I'll probably have it before the end of the month.

Mission Of Burma was absolutely incredible. 2 sets of pure guitar frenzy. I was totally blown away. I saw the first reunion show at 9:30 a year or so ago and thought they were pretty good, but I wasn't prepared for last night. Wow. It's a shame the Black Cat was only half-full. The folks who were there got a terrific show. As I bought my ticket I saw Jenny Toomey's name on the guest list. Not knowing what she looks like, I spent the rest of the evening trying to figure out which person she was. There was an Ian MacKaye sighting as well.

I'm not sure what we're doing tonight. I think I've used up all of my "I need to see a show" points with the BF, which sucks, because I wanted to see Clinic. I've heard great things about their live show. hmmm....Maybe I could at least convince him to go to DC9 and catch Cartel/Exit Clov. We may know a few people heading to that one. I may have better luck getting him to that show.

Tomorrow it's Olivia and Marty from WSC at DC9. That one's a definite. BF loves WSC. That's the one show he'd probably end up dragging ME to, if I said I didn't want to go. Like that would ever happen....




Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?