Sunday, September 05, 2004

 

Save Merriweather

I thought that with I.M.P. running Merriweather this summer, the whole issue of Merriweather Post Pavilion going away was taken care of. Apparently not. It looks like unless something changes soon, this may be MPP's final season, or at least the final season without some major changes.

The owner wants to sell off the parking area to developers and create an office/retail center. Ugh. They're considering closing down MPP altogether, but they said they'd consider leaving the concert venue in place, if it changed to a completely enclosed arena. Howard County is considering buying it, but they haven't made a decision yet.

Check out the Save Merriweather website. They've got the latest info on the situation and they'll let you know what you can do to help.

I grew up going to shows at Merriweather. Some of my first (and favorite) concert experiences took place there. I doubt I'd be such a music freak if I hadn't gone to so many shows there in my younger days. From my first time (8/10/81 - Pat Benatar/Billy Squier) to the Cake show I saw there last night, Merriweather has always been nothing less than terrific for me. David Bowie, R.E.M., Jerry Garcia, Eurythmics, The Pretenders, Neil Young, The Kinks, The B-52's, The Allman Brothers and many, many more.

If nothing else, we need to save it so we're not stuck with the Nissan Pavilion. What a sh*thole that place is.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?