Wednesday, September 15, 2004
Salad Days, Pixies and a Crackhead
- I saw After The Salad Days last night. It's a short film (about 30 minutes) about the current hardcore scene in DC. I really wanted to like it, but I can't honestly say I did. I just didn't learn anything from it. I would have liked to have learned about more of the bands that are out there. More about house shows. From watching the movie, I get the impression that there are only 3-4 bands in the DC/Baltimore area. Maybe that's the truth. Maybe that's why there didn't seem to be a lot going on in the movie. I didn't get the sense of there being much of a scene at all. The interviews with the guys who run Smash! and Reptilian Records were cool though. And The Locos looked like they might be worth checking out. It was hard to catch the names of most of the other bands. Still - "At least [she's] trying. What the f*ck have you done." I'll give her all the credit in the world for putting it together though. She managed to fill The Black Cat's backstage area. It was packed.
- People are still voting for Marion Barry. Apparently, he's not the only one smoking crack. What's wrong with you people?
- The Pixies had a presale for the 12/7 DAR show. The presale sold-out in something like 2 minutes. I managed to score. Tickets go on sale Saturday. There's also a 12/8 show. I assume that goes on sale Saturday too.
- The Vote For Change grand finale is right here in DC. REM, Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews and a bunch of other folks all in one 4-hour show at MCI. Tickets on sale Saturday. $90 and $175. Ouch. I may go for the cheap seats.
- I bought a PJ Harvey ticket. Any recommendations where to start with her catalog?