Thursday, September 16, 2004

 

Johnny Ramone

God dammit. Another one gone. Johnny Ramone died of prostate cancer yesterday.

F*ck F*ck F*ck.

I can't tell you how much The Ramones meant to me. They taught me how powerful live music can be. They were the first band I ever saw in a bar (7/1/84 at the Wax Museum). Up until that point I had only seen big shows at the Capital Centre and Merriweather. But there I was pressed up against the stage, about 5 feet from Joey - maybe 10 feet from Johnny. (Actually I was closer those few times I jumped up on the stage. ahhh... to be young again.)

I always claim that the Dead changed things for me musically. They did take me to the next level, but the Ramones were there first. I saw the Ramones plenty of times before I even owned a Dead record. I used to scribble "RAMONES" on my sneakers in college. I couldn't get enough of them.





Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?